One of our members was recently at a holiday party where he hadn’t seen these people in a few years. Everyone was coming up to him asking what the heck he was doing because he looked so good. “CrossFit and nutrition” was his answer.
People around the world are becoming more obese, but this doesn’t mean it should be the norm.
In 2018, The World Health Organization reported:
- Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975.
- In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 650 million were obese.
- 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese.
- Most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- 41 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2016.
- Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
And if it was only aesthetics that were affected by obesity, we’d be on Team #YouDoYouBoo, but it’s not. Obesity is a major risk factor for things like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
This stuff is literally a matter of life and death which is why we do what we do: focus on fitness and nutrition.
The trick is a join a community of people where being statistically average is not normal. We don’t want to be just average. We want to be capable into our 70s, 80s, and beyond. We want to be the 90-year-olds kicking ass in and out of the gym! And if that’s the case, then starting a new routine in your 40s is no big deal because you have another 50 years of getting fit ahead of you. #MindBlown
In a time where being average is not normal, being the outlier is a good thing.